Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Moon In The Gutter


















Jeremy is such a fuckin dude!
His blog Moon In The Gutter is my fav film blog on the net. When I first discovered it I got lost for hours browsing film stills, reading his reviews, browsing memorabilia and falling in love with my favorite films over and over again or discovering some lost classic. Almost everytime I visit his page I find myself moments later on Amazon buying a bunch of titles.

Jeremy is also one of the sweetest guys I know. I'm always picking his brain or asking him about movies and he'll always take the time to talk and swap recommendations. It's so nice having a walking IMDB as a friend. How the fuck he manages to find time to keep his blog consistently awesome, watch a ton of movies, keeping his memorabilia collection sweet and have an awesome wife - I have no idea! I managed to find time in my chaotic schedule of slack to talk cinema.

Lux: How did the idea of taking stills/screen grabs come about?
 For those of you who don’t visit Moon In The Gutter, Jeremy takes stills from his favorite movies and presents them almost as storyboards to beautiful effect.
Jeremy: I guess it was just a way to highlight little moments in some of my favorite films that might otherwise be overlooked. I had noticed that most stills I saw online typically focused on the actors or on particularly famous moments. I thought by shining the spotlight on perhaps seemingly unimportant moments, or details, in a film might add even more dimension to it. One of my favorite stills is this quick shot in Boogie Nights where Anderson zooms into Roller Girl’s Polaroid camera and she has marked out the P and Scribbled in an R. It’s a quick moment in the film that can easily be missed but that little detail says so much about that character.
The stills were also a way to deal with writer’s block and general laziness…

Lux: I love when you use cross fades you really capture some beautiful moments.
Jeremy:  Thanks so much…one of my favorites of those is a particular shot of John Ritter in They All Laughed…I tear up just thinking about it.

Lux: What the first film you saw growing up that totally blew you mind?
Jeremy: I remember hours spent memorizing every scene in The Pope of Greenwich Village and late nights watching Videodrome and Halloween with friends...memories that can't be touched.

Lux: I know you’re a real film memorabilia collector so typical question: your house is on fire you can only save one item, what would it be?
Jeremy:  Wow, what a hard question. I’ve got an entire bookcase of Lou Reed stuff and I would probably gravitate to that first…film wise I would probably say a scrapbook I kept on Michelle Pfeiffer from around 87 to 94 or so. So much time, energy and obsession went into it that watching it burn would probably break my heart.

Lux: What was the first VHS you bought?
Jeremy:Rocky 3 and I wore that motherfucker out.
Lux: I remember just before Blockbuster took over Ritz Video had a sale and they sold off almost everything for £3 I bought The Lost Boys, then 976-Evil. 976 had a premium rate number stuck on the video saying CALL MARK DARK I did and probably ran up a huge phone bill for my parents.

Lux: Favourite film poster of all time?
Jeremy:  Another tough one…probably the original one-sheet for Arthur Penn’s Night Moves.
Lux: My answer lies here

Lux: When I was a kid I’d go to the local video at least 4 times a week. Were you like me and found yourself just checking the same movies over and over?
Jeremy: Yeah absolutely. I mean it wasn’t like today where you could easily buy or stream whatever. Videos were expensive and I didn’t really have a pot to piss in money-wise. One way I got around it was when we first got a VCR in the eighties I borrowed our neighbors unit and made copies of some of my favorites. I still remember the anticipation and dread of checking to see if they were copy protected. I was a teenage pirate!

Lux: I recently read an amazing quote from John Carpenter. He said, “the movies you see when you’re younger never leave you and they impress you more than anything. They go into your heart and they stay there and you cannot get them out”
Jeremy: Yea, that is so true…Carpenter is the man. I think about my favorites from my teenage years, and twenties especially, and I just can’t get passed em. It’s like that line Warren Oates says in Two-Lane Blacktop about how some satisfactions are permanent. I mean man I saw Jackie Brown on Christmas night in my mid-twenties! I’ll never get over seeing something like that in my prime…it was so special. Saw Rocky 2 at the Drive-in when I was 7, fucking Drugstore Cowboy in an empty theater with my high school sweetheart... I was Matt Dillon walking out of that theater. I’ll never feel like that again but that satisfaction was indeed permanent.

Lux: I ranted on Facebook I recently ‘attempted’ to watch The Waterboy  Jesus fucking Christ Jeremy it was so bad. After watching 45mins I think I can say it is the worst film I have ever seen. I was so fucking revolted I took the DVD out of the player, put it back in the case and threw it out my window and into the trees. Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t expecting The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie but WOW this is truly the most absurd idiotic piece of shit my eyes have ever seen and maybe the worst thing money was ever spent on. Can you bring to mind the worst film you’ve ever seen?
Jeremy: You know it’s funny you mention The Waterboy because I made the mistake of going to see That’s My Boy a couple of months back and I had a similar reaction. I think Sandler is great but he really has made some of the worst films in recent memory (I forgive all though due to Punch Drunk Love). I don’t know what the worst film I have ever seen is. 88 Minutes springs to mind and pretty much anything Jon Avnet has a hand in. Forest Gump comes to mind as well…I really, really hate that film.

Lux: I’ve got a lot of time for bad films - to a point. I work in a record/DVD store so I’m surrounded with geeks. I often find myself at lunchtime arguing and making cases for films I know are bad but I just love. What great bad film(s) do you adore?
Jeremy: I have never really bought into the whole ‘guilty pleasure’ way of of thinking but I know what you mean. It’s tough because I love and celebrate lots of films that I know the majority of film fans think of as bad but I just don’t see them that way. I guess I really can’t offer up much of a defense of The Disco Godfather as a ‘good-film’ but I can’t even put into words how much I love it.

Lux: I’ve always been curious what is with your obsession, fascination and devotion to Sylvia Kristel and Jean Rollin?
Jeremy: Well Rollin has been one of my favorite directors since I discovered his work in the mid-nineties. I set up Fascination: The Jean Rollin Experience several years back because I was disappointed there weren’t many sites really dedicated to his work and I wanted to learn more about him myself. I’m happy to say that it is far and away the biggest Rollin site online now and it has allowed me to come into contact with some really amazing folks who worked and knew Jean…as well as hooking with many other fans.
As for my Sylvia Kristel site…again I was frustrated by the lack of material online. It was also a real personal thing with me as find her one of the most fascinating, and undervalued, film icons on the planet. I think she is also one of the great, great beauties as well…so much to adore and I just wasn’t seeing enough love for her and her work.

Lux: Finally If you can only see one movie this year you know is due for release what would it be?
Jeremy: With all due respect to all of the films on the horizon from a number of great directors it is all about The Master his year. Paul Thomas Anderson is to my eyes the greatest living American director on the planet and his films should be greeted with the same kind of anticipation that used to come with a new Kubrick film.
Lux: AMEN.

http://mooninthegutter.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments: